Frequently Asked Questions

On this page, Congressman Dingell answers some of the questions he is most frequently asked:

  1. Where do you live?
    My wife Deborah and I live in a townhouse in Dearborn, MI, near the University of Michigan-Dearborn campus. When I am working in Washington, DC, we stay in a townhouse in Northern Virginia.
  2. You are currently the longest serving member of the House of Representatives in history. When did you become the longest serving and who did you pass?
    Jamie Whitten of Mississippi was the longest serving member of the House in history. I passed him on February 11, 2009.
  3.  What communities compose Michigan's 12th District?
    Most of eastern Washtenaw County, including Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti; and parts of Downriver and western Wayne County, including Flat Rock, part of Dearborn Heights and the City of Dearborn. View a map of the district.
  4. How many votes have you cast since coming to Congress?
    That's a tough number to keep tabs on, but my office worked with the House Historian’s office in the spring of 2009 to get a number. As of May 2011, had cast approximately 25,000 roll call votes in the House Chamber.
  5. I am traveling to Washington and would like to know how to get a tour of the Capitol. What other tours are available?
    There is information about the tours my office can arrange for you on my website. Feel free to contact my office for more information.
  6. I don't have a group of 10. Can I still tour the White House?
    You may submit a request for a tour of the White House even if you have a group smaller than ten people. Congressional offices often work together to create groups of ten with their respective constituencies. Keep in mind that White House tours book-up quickly, so it is prudent to request your tours three to six months in advance. In order to expedite the process, please provide my Washington D.C. office with the following information for everyone in your party: name (last, first, middle initial); social security number; date of birth; citizenship status; and passport numbers for non-US citizens.
  7. Can I get a flag flown over the Capitol?
    Yes you can and my office can help. Please visit my page on flag requests.
  8. How do I email you?
    E-mail is wonderful way to hear from constituents. I accept emails through my website. I also have a Facebook page and I try to reply to comments there as much as possible.
  9. I need assistance with my passport. Who do I call?
    Please visit my constituent services page or contact my office in Dearborn. My staff and I are happy to help.
  10. How do I schedule a meeting with you?
    If you are looking to set up a meeting in Michigan, please contact my Dearborn office to schedule an appointment. If you are traveling to or located in Washington D.C., please contact my Washington office or fax the request to (202) 226-5518. If you are a member of the press and would like to schedule an interview, please contact my Washington office at (202) 225-4071.
  11. How do I find out your position on an issue?
    Many organizations would like to tell you how I stand on the issues. I do feel that this website is the best source for detailed descriptions on my views and votes. Please read my issue pages and press releases.